Sheppard’s pie is one of those dishes that’s great on a bitterly cold evening. I’ve used a cauliflower crust to keep the carb content down, but if you prefer a traditional version you can substitute the cauliflower for potatoes.
This can be prepared ahead and just placed in the oven 40 minutes prior to when you want to eat.
- 500 grams lamb – either mince or finely diced meat
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Approximately 4 cups finely diced seasonal veggies – I’ve used eggplant, carrot, celery and cabbage
- Sea salt and cracked pepper to your preferred taste
- 1 tablespoon oil or butter (I use coconut oil)
- 1/2 cauliflower, cut in to florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan
- Optional – 2 cloves garlic, crushed
Preheat the oven to 220C (430F).
Sautee the onion in a large pan on low heat with the oil until softened and transparent.
Turn the heat up and add the lamb, cooking until its browned. Throw in the veggies, sauce and tomato paste. Cook until the veggies are soft. Add the sea salt and pepper to your preferred taste.
Depending on the veggies you use you may have some liquid at the bottom of the saucepan. If it’s dry just add half to a full cup of water so its not drenched, but not longer dry. Turn the heat back down to low.
Meanwhile boil a pot of water. Throw in the cauliflower and cook until its soft (this should be around five minutes). Once cooked strain the cauliflower in a colander.
Place the cauliflower in a mixing bowl along with the garlic, butter and parmesan. Mash it together with either a potato masher or stick mixer.
Place the filling mixture in a mid-sized oven proof container (glass or ceramic) or individual ramkins. For this one I used a few foil tins so I could give these away. Layer the cauliflower mash on top of the fillong and use a fork to make raised peaks on the top. These will crisp up nicely.
Bake for half an hour or until the top is lightly browned and crispy.
Prep time 10 minutes
Cooking time 40 minutes