Sausage? I know, it sounds stodgy, but if you get lean sausages that are pretty well mince, veggies and spices it makes for a quick hearty and healthy dish great for a winter breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 2 x 420ml cans beans or around 3 cups if you’re rehydrating them (I’ve used butter beans)
- 500g sausages, cut in to inch long segments
- 680ml tomato pasatta or 2 x 420ml cans diced tomatoes
- 1 large onion, cut in to thin wedges (I prefer red onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 handfuls roughly chopped veggies (I’ve used kale)
- 1 handful of any fresh Italian herbs, roughly chopped (I’ve used oregano, thyme and parsley)
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil to cook (I use coconut oil)
- optional – grated parmesan
In a large saucepan sautee the onion and garlic in the oil on low heat. Once softened add in the sausage and cook until almost cooked through. Add in the veggies, beans, tomato, herbs and seasoning and turn up the heat. Once the tomato is bubbling away cook for a further 5 minutes or until the sausages and veggies are cooked to your liking.
Serve with grated parmesan and a few extra sprigs of herbs to garnish.
|Prep time||5 minutes|
|Cooking time||15 minutes|