I so love beetroot, and I’m so glad I now have a new way to enjoy it raw, rather than just juicing. And there’s the added benefit that I can enjoy my all time favourite raw broccoli stem without looking like a weirdo
This salad is a beautiful and fresh meal on its own, and also great with a BBQ or a side of meat. I quickly grilled some garam masala spiced chicken breast as an accompaniment.
- 1 beetroot, scrubbed to remove dirt (you can leave the skin on), then cut into julienne strips
- 1 broccoli stem, cut to remove edges (you can keep these to use in a stock), then into julienne strips
- 1 pear or apple, cut in to julienne strips
- Small handful of mint
- Juice of 1/2 lime
Combine all the ingredients and enjoy immediately.
The salad will last up to a couple of hours in the fridge as the lime juice slows the oxidising of the pear/apple.
- Add in a handful of nuts
- Add some feta or blue vein cheese
- Carrot is a good substitute if you’re out of broccoli
|Prep time||5 minutes|