I have this salad a few times a week, so I cook a big batch of quinoa on Sunday so that I can throw this together in a few minutes.
Thanks to the team at Healthwise Clinic for the inspiration for this recipe!
- 1/2 cup quinoa (I use a mix of white, red and black because I think variety is good for me)
- Head of broccoli, cut in to florets
- 1 large (or 2 small) apples roughly diced
- Small handful of coriander, torn
- 1/4 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 cup walnuts, roughy crushed by hand
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons tamari (or soy sauce)
- Juice of 1 lime (or lemon)
Quinoa should really be rinsed in a sieve before cooking it to remove the external coating of saponin (which makes it bitter and harder to digest) as well as any grit, but I’m often lazy and skip this then regret it while I’m eating it.
Add the quinoa and 1/2 cup water to a small pan. Bring the water to the boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover with a lid and leave to simmer gently for 20 minutes (I have a gas cook top so I need to use a diffuser to get the temperature low enough). Turn off the heat after the 20 minutes and allow to sit for a further 5 minutes prior to removing the lid. After the 5 minutes remove the lid and fluff up the quinoa with a fork.
Boil up 6 cups water. Place the broccoli in a colander in the sink and pour the boiling water over the broccoli. Shake the colander to remove excess water.
Throw all the ingredients in a bowl, drizzle the dressing over the top, and toss to combine.
|Prep time||5 minutes|
|Cooking time||20 minutes|
|Standing time||5 minutes|